Monday, October 1, 2012

Old Age--Ver. ~5.0

.
As I continue to age, I look for ever easier ways to cook the foods I love with ever decreasing involvement from me in the hour immediately preceeding sitting down to eat whichever meal is in question. 

My, gentle snowflakes, have I got a deal for you! 

I love sauteed mushrooms. With anything or nothing. BUT, I always disliked the amount of attention and involvement involved just before sitting down to consume them. 

Enter my faithful slow cooker/Crock Pot!

Italian Mushrooms

  Ingredients:

  • 1 pound medium sized, fresh mushrooms, whole
  • 1 large onion, cleaned, cut in half (stem to root) & sliced
  • ¼ cup butter, melted in a cup in the microwave
  • 2 tablespoons good olive oil
  • 1 envelope italian dry salad dressing mix
  • 2-3 tablespoons (more or less) white wine

  Directions:

  • In a 3-quart slow cooker, layer the whole mushrooms and the sliced onion. 
  • Combine melted butter, olive oil, and dry salad dressing mix; pour over vegetables.
  • Sprinkle the white wine over all.
  • Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until the vegetables are tender.
  • Serve with a slotted spoon.

This is supposed to serve 6. Fat chance! Not if you love mushrooms! The last time I made these I ate over half of them myself. Boy, are these things delicious.

However, the chief attraction, as far as I am concerned, is throw everything in the crock pot sometime between 1 and 2 pm then come back at supper time. Sure beats standing over a skillet and stirring and tossing those delightful little buttons for 15-20-30 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment