Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Riding the Rails

.
Tomorrow I will be doing one of my favorite things. I am going to get on a train and ride to my destination. I love it.

The seats are huge. The leg room is very spacious. When I sit in the seat and stretch my legs A-L-L the way out in front of me and point my toes, I can almost touch the back of the seat in front of me. The seats recline and there is a leg rest that can be popped up. There is a snack car for refreshments--sandwiches, chips, ice, beverages (including alcoholic if one is old enough).

The trip/ride/time spent is also very relaxing. It decompresses me. I read. I look out the window and actually have a view. The clackety-clack of the wheels on the rails is hypnotic. The sway of the car lulls my jangled nerves. It is a very pleasant way to travel.

Yes, it is not as fast as air, but it is wa-a-a-ay cheaper. I will pay (and this is not mis-typed) $21.25 and spend a little over 4 hours on the train (about the same as driving time & no traffic to worry with). The cheapest air fare I can find is $139.10 with 1 hour flight time plus the 2 hour pre-boarding mess plus the waiting for the luggage at the destination airport. Come to think of it, sounds like the time factor is about a wash.

To board the train, I do not have to take my shoes off. I have never been body searched before getting on the train. Although I do have to show a photo ID.

TAKE THE TRAIN.





No comments:

Post a Comment