Oh, the nightmare just will NOT go away. Jeb Bush is considering running for the US Senate in 2010.
- Bush said conservatives should “do the math of the new demographics of the United States,” explaining that the Republican Party “can’t be anti-Hispanic, anti-young person — anti many things — and be surprised when we don’t win elections.”
Whew! I had to go find something to take the bad taste out of my mouth. Michael Moore has some ideas on what to do about the auto-makers.
- You could buy ALL the common shares of stock in General Motors for less than $3 billion. Why should we give GM $18 billion or $25 billion or anything? Take the money and buy the company!
- The Big 3 are, from this point forward, to build only cars that are not primarily dependent on oil and, more importantly to build trains, buses, subways and light rail (a corresponding public works project across the country will build the rail lines and tracks). This will not only save jobs, but create millions of new ones.
- This proposal will save our industrial infrastructure -- and millions of jobs. More importantly, it will create millions more. It literally could pull us out of this recession.
- ...yesterday General Motors presented its restructuring proposal to Congress. They promised, if Congress gave them $18 billion now, they would, in turn, eliminate around 20,000 jobs. You read that right. We give them billions so they can throw more Americans out of work. That's been their Big Idea for the last 30 years... But no one ever stopped to ask this question: If you throw everyone out of work, who's going to have the money to go out and buy a car? (Emphasis mine.)
And you thought that with the election over, I would have nothing about which to rant. ha