Goehring? Really? Goehring? And people are listening to him? Really?
If the progressive movement--and liberals in particular--are so relentlessly evil and have consistently taken America down the wrong path, what about the myriad things that make all Americans' lives--liberal and conservative alike--so much better?
- minimum wages
- maximum hours
- civil rights
- women’s rights
- Voting Rights Act
- regulation of banks and stock brokerage firms
- Child Labor Act
- regulation of the stock exchanges
- labor rights – collective bargaining - at least before Reagan and WalMart
- National Parks and monuments -Death Valley, Everglades, Blue Ridge, Boulder Dam, Bull Run, Mount Rushmore, Cape Cod
- Tennessee Valley Authority
- Rural electrification
- the GI Bill providing education to thousands upon thousands of veterans
- Housing loans for vets
- FHA housing loans
- The SBA (Small Business Administration)
- Unemployment insurance
- legal alcohol
- Peace Corp
- Social Security
- National Endowment for the Arts
- health and safety on the job (just think, those 11 roughnecks and 29 miners who died, would be alive now, if safety regulations had been followed)
– Samuel Gompers-- "We want more schoolhouses and less jails; more books and less arsenals; more learning and less vice; more leisure and less greed; more justice and less revenge; in fact, more of the opportunities which cultivate our better natures.”Big business is not in the business of seeing human beings as anything more than interchangeable cogs in a machine to be used and discarded at will. The top 1% of the Have-Mores have wrung, and will wring, more and more blood out of those Americans who actually make things and make things work.
The Conservatives do not seem to be for anything. Think of John Boehner speaking from the floor of the House: They are the people of NO!