Because I can not stand even to think about "current events" right now, I give you another tasty, easy, really good thing to eat. I guess when the soul aches (and there seem to be no good outcomes on the horizon), the body needs sustenance. So, here it is. Make the body happy and maybe the soul will come along for the ride. And this will make your body happy.
Beer Braised Beef Short Ribs
Serves 2 (Easily scaled up)
2 lb Beef short ribs
¼ cp all-purpose flour
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp sea salt
¼ tsp dry ground mustard
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Combine flour & spices in a 1 gallon close-able, plastic bag.
- Add the ribs.
- Shake. Shake. Shake. Shake again. Shake some more.
- Set aside.
1 clove garlic, minced
6-7 oz good, high-point beer (Little Kings makes a 7oz bottle that works really well)
- Put into the crock pot.
- Dump the ribs on top of the onions. Arrange ribs so that the bones are to the walls of the crock pot.
1 Tblsp tomato paste
- Stir together beer & tomato paste
- Pour beer mixture into crock pot around the ribs.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. Meat should be very, fall-off the bone, tender.
About the last hour to hour-and-a-half, I usually throw a big handful of baby carrots or regular carrots cut into 1-1½" rounds or diagonals on top of the ribs. Sometimes I also add a zucchini sliced 1" on the deep diagonal, on top of the ribs & carrots.