Here I was busily trying to convince myself that I was the only person in the world who had this feeling and then along comes Thomas A. Schweich in an article in the Washington Post outlining a near nightmare scenario. Among other things, Schweich says:
- We no longer have a civilian-led government. ... Our Constitution is at risk.
- While serving the State Department in several senior capacities over the past four years [that means, boys and girls, that he served the Bush administration and, therefore, knows of which he speaks], I witnessed firsthand the quiet, de facto military takeover of much of the U.S. government.
- Now the Pentagon has drawn up plans to deploy 20,000 U.S. soldiers inside our borders by 2011.
- If President-elect Obama wants to reverse this trend, he must take ... steps -- and very quickly.
- He should retake the government before it devours him and us -- and return civilian-led government to the people of the United States.
And just in case, you think Schweich is some nut job from the same day camp as I am, he starts his article with this: " It is hard for a lifelong Republican and son of a retired Air Force colonel to say this. "